If you are a cat owner, then chances are that you are looking for the best cat litter for your cat. Understandably so because, having a good cat litter makes a big difference, be it for your cat or for you as the cat owner. Preferably for you and your cat.
Cats are fussy little creatures when it comes to their litter, and they will make sure that they have a say in your choice of cat litter. If they don’t like the cat litter that you have chosen, then they will be sure to “tell” you so! That’s when you’ll find your cat doing their dirty business in places other than their litter box!
For cat owners, like yourself, you would definitely not want your house to smell like a bowl of ammonia, so your preference of a premium cat litter will be to opt for one that is able to control urine and stool odor.
The following list of tips should allow you to choose the cat litter that’s best for you and your feline companion. Careful selection will make your cat happy, and you’ll have an easier time keeping things clean and fresh-smelling around the house.
When purchasing a brand of cat litter, here are some things to think about:
1. Is it made of natural products or is it a synthetic one? A natural product would be safer for your cats as they tend to lick off the cat litter from their paws after a visit to the litter box.
2. Does the cat litter produce a lot of dust and tracking? If it does, then may not be a good choice because it may create respiratory problem in your cats. Also, if produces a lot of tracking, then you may have a hard time cleaning up after your kitty after each use of the litter box.
3. The texture of the cat litter. Does It appeal to your kitty? Texture is also very important. In general, most cats prefer litter which feels like sand beneath their feet. Brands of soft litter are easier on the cat’s paws, and makes it more likely that they’ll dig in it (both before and after they complete their business).
4. Is the litter able to mask the smell of your cat’s urine. This is an important concern of most cat owners because you definitely would not like your entire home smelling of ammonia.
5. Is the litter environmentally friendly and can it be disposed off easily?
6. Is the cat litter perfumed or odourless? Take note that some cats are sensitive to perfumes and the presences of fragrance from the litter could cause some allergies in sensitive cats.
7. How much does it cost. Take notice that expensive doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s good.
At time of this writing, I have one very stinky neutered 8 year old male cat, one 7 year old female cat and a one year old female, all living in my house. That’s three cats sharing obe litter box! You can imagine I have to be quite particular with what cat litter I use.
It’s been difficult, though, trying to find one cat litter that suited everyone because we’ve got my male who has incredibly strong urine odor. Also, the yonger female can definitely “Drop The Bomb” if you know what i’m saying. So luckily for me, I were able to find the very best litter here for everyone.
What do I want in a litter?
* Good value
* Convenient availability (I’m able to find it locally)
* Odor control without being heavily perfumed
* Low dust
* Low tracking
* and Clumping if possible
* And Most of All “Natural” and healthy for my cats
Here are the litters we tested and just how they performed, from what I have discovered to be the best to the least favorite. It is critical to select the right cat litter that meets both yourself and your cat.
#1 Natures Miracle Odor Control Clumping Cat Litter – All natural pine blend is the best thing to start out on with a new kitten. Clumping litters are not suitable for kittens under 6 months old, but these products works well..
* Clumping formula that is easy to clean and get rid of
* Lightweight formula weighs half the weight of clay litter
* Easy to carry, pour, and dispose of
* Triple Action Odor Control system continually insures the freshest environment
* Uniquely blended natural formula with superior clumping quality
* Activates when wet to entrap, neutralize, and destroy tough odors
* Pine fragrance with natural enzymes act continually to deliver a long lasting scent
* Safe, completely biodegradable formula
* Fresh pine scent
* 99% dust-free
* Good for multi-cat households or with sick cats
* Great for newly declawed kittens/cats who can begin using it immediately
* Sick cats
* Works great with automated kitty litter boxes
#2 NextGen GreenTea Cat Litter – Kills bacteria and fights odor with Catechin. Catechin in each pellet kills bacteria and works to fight strong odor.Its Flushable: GREEN TEA LEAVES uses 100 percent all natural biodegradable 100 % natural ingredients. Daily upkeep of your cat box can be flushed down the toilet without harm.Its a Light Weight Product: GREEN TEA LEAVES is less than 1/3 the weight of conventional clay litters.It Clumps: GREEN TEA LEAVES forms small round clumps that do not break apart when scooped from the cat box. Each clump is formed under the surface of the litter which reduces exposure to the air and noticeable odors.Its Economical: GREEN TEA LEAVES is made of wood powder which is highly absorbent. It captures moisture within seconds of contact allowing it to form smaller clumps which means more effective and economical use.10 Liter Bag
#3 Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat – So far, this has been the best product I’ve used, except for a couple of things – the price, that it isn’t readily available in our area, and that the variety I tried was non-clumping. However, if you have a special needs kitty, you won’t find a better product. This product line includes cat litters for litter training kittens, and helping pregnant cats and older cats that have litter box problems. Their products have herbs to attract cats to the litter box, and they also help kill bacteria. I found this cat litter to be 100% effective on my worst odors!
#4 Feline Pine – Owners and experts alike praise Feline Pine cat litter for its fresh scent, biodegradability (meaning it can be flushed down the bathroom . or recycled as mulch) and economy (a 20-pound bag is equivalent in usage to 60 pounds of clumping clay litter). However, some cats don’t take to Feline Pine’s texture, and this litter doesn’t clump on contact with urine. If clumping is important to you, you may want to consider another large-pellet biodegradable litter that gets good reviews, World’s Best Cat Litter (*est. $ 40 for 34 lbs.); however, World’s Best is much more expensive..
#5 Worlds Best Cat Litter – The biodegradable World’s Best Cat Litter is made from pellets of ground corn, so it can be flushed down the toilet or recycled as mulch. Unlike another recommended biodegradable cat litter, Feline Pine (*est. $ 12 for 20 lbs.), World’s Best Cat Litter clumps on contact with urine, a big selling point with some reviewers since it makes the litter box easier to clean. However, owners and experts point out that this litter is more expensive than Feline Pine, and it can be dusty. As with other large-pellet cat litters, some cats simply won’t take to its texture and will refuse to use the litter box.
#6 Scoop Away Multiple Cat Formula – Clumping, fine-grained cat litters like Scoop Away Multiple Cat Formula are far and away the most popular type of litter in the U.S. Owners give the slight edge to this brand over the similar Tidy Cats Scoop (*est. $ 17 for 27 lbs.), saying cats like its texture and its clumping makes it easy to clean. However, some pet owners are suspicious of the chemical additives that cause clay litters to clump, and others say cats tend to track fine-grained litters like Scoop Away around the house. If you’re willing to experiment with an organic, flushable, clumping, large-grained cat litter, you might want to consider World’s Best Cat Litter (*est. $ 40 for 34 lbs.), though it’s far more expensive.
# 7 Pestell Clear Choice Low Track Silica Crystals Cat LitterGenerally, cat experts aren’t fond of crystal-based cat litters, which absorb moisture and neutralize odors but can irritate a cat’s sensitive paws. The big benefit of crystal litters like Pestell Clear Choice Low Track Silica Crystals Cat Litter is that they only have to be changed about monthly. Unfortunately, urine will pool in the box once the litter becomes saturated. Most reviewers and pet owners say you (and your cat) will be better off with either a standard clumping-clay cat litter like Scoop Away Multiple Cat Formula
World’s Best Cat Litter – I only tried this litter once because it is a pricey product. I do know that many people use this litter and swear no doub it is the World’s Best Cat Litter. I was not happy with it at all. I found it to be dusty, extremely messy, and high tracking. I also found the odor of the wet litter to be highly offensive, worse than the smell of kitty poop, actually. Why pay a higher price if a better value product is serving my needs well?
After much experimentation, I believe that Natures Miracle Odor Control Clumping Cat Litter is the most reliable litter for the value. If you have a kitty with odor problems, try this cat litter first, and if that doesn’t resolve your odor problem, go with a Green Tea. And if you have a problem kitty, nothing beats this cat litter. It absolutely blew the competition away.
Even if it seems a little more expensive than some of the others, It will last twice as long before you need to refill. So it is by far the best clumping, least tracking, best odor fighting and over all best economical bang for the buck.
The Green Tea Cat Litter came in a respectable 2nd, but was still a good cat litter.
It’s a toss up between “Worlds Best” and Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat” for 3rd place. These two are a decent cat litter, but nowhere near “Natures Miracle Odor Control Clumping Cat Litter”
Find More Cat Articles